HBO Documentary Films / View Films
• Nominated. Emmy Award for Outstanding Business and Economic Reporting, Long Form
• Screening before U.S. Senate including character testimony on the economic policy and future of the America middle class
Filmed over the course of one winter in Portland, Oregon, AMERICAN WINTER presents an intimate and emotionally evocative snapshot of the state of our economy as it is playing out in many American families.
Working together with the nonprofit organization 211 info in Portland, the filmmakers were given full access to monitor and record calls from distressed families who were calling 211’s emergency hotline in search of help. They then began following the stories of some of these callers in more depth over several months. The film follows multiple families in their daily struggle to keep their heads above water, while facing overwhelming challenges and dwindling resources available to help them, creating a powerful firsthand view of Americans caught in today’s financial undertow.
• Indiwire - "Using a mix of hard facts and personal stories, American Winter is too compelling to ignore."
• Washington Post - "Wrenching"
• Daily Kos - "A thoughtful and confrontational exploration of poverty"